I originally bought this fabric because I wanted to make a dress to match my husbands suit ( I will get to that later ) .. however he decided that he was going to go with a royal blue rather than a traditional red :)
So, I decided on this dress for myself .
I decided to NOT use a pattern for this dress. My original idea was to have the top fitted and the bottom portion gathered, however once I began making it that idea changed QUICKLY !!
I changed my pattern design because I didn't like how the dress fell with the gathers AND I discovered that in order to even get into the dress I would have to add elastic around the waist..... I can not tell you how many dresses I have made with elastic around the waist.... so I opted for something different
I used a long sleeve fitted t shirt ( Walmart ) to make the pattern for the top. The fabric I used was a Ponte fabric. It had one way stretch so , because of this I had to add darts in the front and back to get that snug fit .
Lastly I added a belt ( rayon) to the dress and stitched it down with a flower stitch ....
I really love how the dress turned out . Its really elegant and the fabric has a BEAUTIFUL drape.
Ok! I am sure you are wondering whats going on with the suit ! I actually finished the suit ( after many pain staking hours BUT it didn't fit the way I like . So it is still a work in progress. I plan to finish it this week because I have a royal blue dress that I'm making that will go Lovely with his suit ........
I hope you like!!!!